Wednesday, September 15, 2010

My observations about the top 20 Radio stations in Germany

When I started this project I expected to be listening to German music in German.  Instead I was rather surprised because it could just as easily been one of the radiostations I listen to minus the commercials which were in German.  Baden Württemberg, for example had almost all radiostations with music in English and commercials in German.  There was at least one American radiostation in each States section.  I thought this was really interesting because if I had been listening to music in German I wouldn't have understood most of it.  I might recognize the melodies but it's very doubtful I could get the full enjoyment out of listening without understanding.  We don't have the variety of languages for our radiostations that Germany seems to provide for theirs and we live in a multicultural country as well.  This makes me realize how ethnocentric the U.S. is in comparison to other countries.  It seems to me that we are the only country where most of the citizens aren't at least bilingual.  I also was rather surprised not to hear more techno and dance music when listening to the different stations.  Most of them seemed to be similar to our stations.  They have their R&B, Hip Hop, Oldies, Mix, Techno, etc.  I believe some of them must have been talkshows because I listened for awhile and didn't hear any music.  It was interesting that I could pick out some commercials we hear here as well.  I found this project interesting and surprising because it was not at all what I expected when I began it. 

Bayern had the most radio stations and Bremen & Mecklenburg-Vorpommern had the least radio stations (each with 6). 

No comments:

Post a Comment